Friday, January 05, 2007

Saint October ep. 1











I don't know why I watched this show. Maybe it's because I've recently caught a cold, this was the first anime of the winter season, and I was dying for something new.
Going into it, I was mostly looking forward to seeing how bad this show was. When I first checked it out, after all, it merely seemed like a show that would shamelessly milk the widely popular goth loli craze.

...and believe me, it does. It really, really does.

However, little did I know, this show by no means takes itself seriously (I'm not sure why I thought it would) and is actually a rather poorly disguised Mahou Shoujo show. And for some reason, I think I kinda enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong though, this show is pretty dumb. The story focuses on two girls: Kotono -- the well-meaning, hard working main character, with a hair ribbon that conveniently looks like a pair of cat ears.
..and Natsuki -- a very high-class young lady who looks suspiciously like Shinku, and for some reason has a fang that appears at random. She's also voiced by Fukui Yukari, who in my book = love.
The two girls (both 14) work part time at a detective agency fighting crime with their flying contraptions. Recently, there's been a string of kidnapping and of course, the girls are on the case. ..And that's where the first episode begins.

I probably wouldn't have gone on much further if I wasn't charmed out of my mind by the catchy OP theme (complete with its own karaoke), sung by the three main girls (one of which won't be introduced until a few episodes later). It somehow convinced me with its cuteness to throw away my prejudices with the show and just kick back and give it a try. And after the introduction of a few new characters, the fateful meeting between the main character and the mysterious little boy, the description of the main character's tragic and mysterious past, and a rather gross transformation scene, my claim to the stupidity of this show is unwavered.

But, still I have to admit that through it all, it was kinda fun. The characters are likeable, the animation is decent, and the villains look so ridiculous it's hilarious. ..It was almost like I was watching Pretty Cure again. I, in fact, had to remind myself that this was actually a show that was aired at night and aimed to otaku. That.. still doesn't make much sense to me, really.

There are going to be a lot of people that won't like this show, and perhaps even more people that will be disappointed. But I think I might still watch it. Why? Because..

..I smell yuri.
(the things I'll do for it, I swear..)

Labels:


....................................